Monday, October 26, 2015

Photo Stop at Lake Mapourika


Of the many massive lakes right on the roadside all the way along the west coast, Lake Mapourika is one of the easiest to drive past without stopping. As it is just north of Franz Josef it becomes super easy to think "I've only just started my drive" or "I'm nearly home so I'll stop another time."




So far every time I've passed it it's also been either rainy, dark, slate grey or just not the best view - until one day when I was on my way to check out nearby Okarito on a beautiful stunner of a day. It was so worth getting out of bed that little bit earlier as I caught the calm reflection and the mist just lifting off. I only stayed for about 20mins to get a few pics but it was so beautiful. It would be a great lake to have a kayak around or take a picnic to, and I've seen a few awesome sunrise shots from here too so will definitely keep that in mind if I've got an early drive north one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment