Friday, June 19, 2015

I'm home, it's good, but I'm away travelling again already

I've been back in New Zealand for over three months now, and it was completely bizarre how easily I fit straight back in as if I hadn't just been living on the other side of the world for nearly three years. Living back at my parents' place, catching rides in and out of the city, trawling through the job ads on Trademe, and going out to dinner with my friends. 

It's good to be back; good to spend a decent amount of time with everyone again; good to not have to worry about visas; good to be able to have access to a car and drive anywhere again. It's good to be able to say things like 'tiki tour,' 'jandals,' 'kumara,' 'ten' and 'pen'* again; and good to eat Whittakers chocolate and Tip Top boysenberry ice cream any time I want.

Hanging with these cuties while at home was a pretty good bonus


But when I was job hunting I was constantly thinking about how long it would take me to save up and go overseas again (about two years with all my wish lists!). I looked into all sorts of backpacker jobs and tourism-related things, and ways to save up to move to another part of New Zealand. One thing that I got from being overseas was a realisation of how little of my own beautiful country I've seen (or can remember from family trips), so I just can't sit still for too long before the need for exploration hits again!

After much discussion on the advantages and disadvantages, I applied for and got a job in the tiny town of Fox Glacier, on the south of the west coast, about 6 hours drive from my home town. With big thanks to my parents and sister I was able to borrow a car which enabled me pack up everything and head to this reasonably isolated little place. It made for an awesome change being able to just chuck a ton of stuff in a car and not pack things into one suitcase! I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the beautiful scenery in this area. This side of the island is completely different to where I'm used to on the east coast so it's practically like getting to explore a whole new country!

Moving to a new place again is already worth it with this as my back yard

Because of this I feel like I'm still travelling (my poor beloved friends said 'how many more leaving dinners are we going to have for you!') and I will be filling in the winter months getting back into this blog. I want to write about all the cool stuff I'm getting to see and do here, and I also want to go back and document all the awesome stuff I did overseas but never got around to writing down.

*I include the words 'pen' and 'ten' here because they were one of the most common words people in the UK and Ireland would laugh at. To them it sounds like I'm saying pin and tin. Not my fault if they can't speak Kiwi! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment