Friday, January 30, 2015

The End of the Adventure Looms

"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again."
~Flavia Weedn



After two years and eight months of living overseas, and despite plans to stay for longer, it looks like I'm going to be pulling the plug and moving back to New Zealand very soon. Unfortunately I'm out of a job here in Ireland due to it being so quiet at the cafe I was working at, and have so far been unable to find more work. It's the absolute worst time for me to have been looking for work, as on top of the post-Christmas, middle of winter lull in the city, I also only have until the start of June before my work visa runs out. No one wants to hire someone knowing they'll only be around for about four months (I wouldn't if I was an employer so I do understand).

It just means that I've almost completely run out of money, so unless a miracle job appears in the next week, I'll be packing up my stuff and moving home in a matter of weeks. I'm lucky to be able to have an emergency loan from my family to buy a ticket home, and to spend my last two weeks travelling in England and Switzerland hopefully. I'm looking forward to spending a few days catching up with my close friends in London, Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire and hope to go to Switzerland as it's the top of my list of places to see. I just want a glimpse of the famous Swiss scenery before I go! And it'll be extra beautiful in snow.

I had hoped to stay in Cork till my visa was up before doing a few months travelling around a chunk of Europe, so have been trying hard this month to find work. I even had an interview for a sales job but could not bring myself to do it - see my previous post! Though it's been hard to come to terms with, I know it's not the end of the world to leave. I'm absolutely gutted, but I've had the time of my life living over here...I'll just have to save up again back home and come back over to see everything I didn't get to this time around - Europe isn't going anywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment