Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Better late than never....Bloody typical me

Wow! The first post! Bet you didn't actually think I was going to get around to this sooner...

A blog of my travels and experiences, beginning here in London, England, is still something I want to do, not just for myself but all you friends out there. I'm fortunate to have so many people to call a friend, but this also means it makes it hard for me to keep in touch with everyone! So I'm aiming to keep this reasonably up to date and full of random bits and pieces as my way of being in contact of everyone. If only I can beat down my old nemesis, procrastination... ;)

"The two rules of procrastination:  1) Do it today.  2) Tomorrow will be today tomorrow."
~Author Unknown

Yesterday was the last day of the 2012 Olympics, and since I was working all day (seriously, all day) it was quite surreal. I work/live on the edge of the central city in the north west, with the Olympics mainly based in the East so I've kind of missed the busyness and hype of it all. On the screens at work I saw bits of the marathon with the thousands of people lining the streets and up around Buckingham Palace, but the pub was completely dead so didn't feel like a big deal at all. I have to pinch myself sometimes to remember I'm actually in London, where this is all going on live. Thankfully over the past two weeks the pub has been pretty busy because of the Games, as it is a main meeting point for people going to see the football (i.e. soccer ;) ) at Wembly Stadium. I might have missed all the hype completely if it hadn't been for the sometimes frantically busy periods before a Wembly game. People also came to watch in the evenings, after work etc presumably. It has been a pretty good vibe though, everyone's gotten really into it. It's been very cool to be a part of that. I think I'll look up the tickets for the Paralympics and see if I can go see some of that.

My favourite part of the bits of closing ceremony I saw would definitely be the miniature London landmarks at the start, with Big Ben, the London Eye and the Gherkin building, then the stage in general as a Union Jack flag was really cool and worked really well for the whole show. It was great to sing along to all the hits with all of the pub. It was such a weird mash up of songs though, I think some didn't really mesh with the others. Great to hear at least one part of Oasis though!

Just a reasonably short post for starters....until next time!! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment